:

Back to Xtra!

Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

802.11n Merger Approved (Unstrung.com)

News

Original Article:

Excerpt courtesy of "Yahoo! News - Search Results for 802.11n" RSS feed.

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:19:11 -0700

802.11n Merger Approved (Unstrung.com)
The future of high-speed WiFi was given a boost this week as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc. (IEEE) allowed two sides of the 802.11n wireless standard more time to work on a merged specification.

I really appreciate the fact that the TGn Sync group and the wWise group had decided to jointly come up with an 802.11n standard for IEEE. This joint effort will definitely help manufacturers create 802.11n devices quickly and bring them to the consumer's hands.

Even so, I have questioned why is it that so many consumers are looking toward 802.11n; waiting for the new standard, before plunging into wireless. I understand that the faster network connection will help you transfer large amount of data quickly or assist you in streaming DV-quality video. But when most consumers are simply using wireless networks for surfing the web, why are they waiting for 802.11n?

Just today, one of my buddies told me how great it was for the two wireless groups to joint efforts. He claimed that his wait paid off. This confused me, because I failed to understand how it paid off. I pose the following questions and justifications to him:

"So . . . why is it that you need the new 11n standard? Do you transfer a lot of data between your computers?

"You do realize that the maximum advertised broadband speed for consumers are only 5 Mbps, right? And that's is assuming you are luck to live in an area with the latest technology. Most broadband only achieves 3 to 4 Mbps.

"Even the slowest (11b) wireless technology can already achieve 11 Mbps; 2 to 3 times faster than the broadband you have.

"So why is it that you need the 11n standard??

"If you transfer files between your computers, the fastest way is to use a 100Base-T switch, which offers 100 Mbps. If you don't like wires, why not settle for an 11g standard, which supports 54 Mbps and it quite affordable. The 11g is only half as slow as the 100Base-T switch. Because the 100 Mbps is already 10 times faster than 11b, 11g's 54 Mbps is 5 times faster.

"So why do you need the 11n standard???"

Chieh Cheng
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:29:27 -0700

Add Comment | Related Links | TrackBack
Related Content

Did your message disappear? Read the Forums FAQ.

Add Comment

Spam Control | * indicates required field
Your Name: *
E-mail:
Remember Me!
Comment: *
File attachment is optional. Please do not attach a file to your submission unless it is relevent.
Attach File:
(128 MB Max)
Spam Protection: * Answer of 0 - 2?
Click button only once, please!

TrackBack

TrackBack only accepted from WebSite-X Suite web sites. Do not submit TrackBacks from other sites.

Send Ping | TrackBack URL | Spam Control

No TrackBacks yet. TrackBack can be used to link this thread to your weblog, or link your weblog to this thread. In addition, TrackBack can be used as a form of remote commenting. Rather than posting the comment directly on this thread, you can posts it on your own weblog. Then have your weblog sends a TrackBack ping to the TrackBack URL, so that your post would show up here.

Messages, files, and images copyright by respective owners.

Latest Discussions RSS
All Discussions

News Search
Site Search

RSS Render

7026 Users Online

Copyright © 2004 - 2021. All Rights Reserved.